Thursday, May 9, 2013

Growing Green Onions In Your Kitchen

One of my favorite ways to save money on food is by growing it myself. So my frugal self is excited that my fifty cent bunch of green onions can be stretched for months of reuse. I grow onions in the garden as well, but this is my favorite way to keep them on hand in the kitchen for easy access all year long. You'll be amazed on how fast they grow! 


I cut our green onions about 3 inches above the white bulb/ roots.. but really you can cut them at any length as long as you stay 1/2 inch above the bulb. Place them in a glass jar with water in a sunny window and let them grow! And its as easy as that! 



This picture was taken at day ten with a few clips missing here and there as I needed them. The only other thing I recommend doing is every other day I rinse the bulbs & add fresh water to ensure they don't get all slimy & gross. So far so good =)

I'm excited to try this with some other kitchen veggie waste like celery & lemongrass. 







No comments:

Post a Comment